Sunday 12 October 2014

Oreo Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies


This bake is made of all my favourite ingredients - peanut butter, oreos and fudgy brownies. As mentioned in my previous post, one of the first boxes I opened contained my stash of oreo cookies. I also found my giant jar of peanut butter which is how this recipe came about. I used my all time favourite fudgy brownie recipe and added in chopped oreos and a layer of creamy peanut butter. My friend gave me a bag of Reese's Mini Peanut Butter Cups as a house warming present so I added a few on top. The brownies were absolutely amazing. It's rich, chocolatey and fudgey. You get the crunch from the oreo cookies and the smooth peanut butter layer on top gives it a lovely saltiness which cuts through the sweetness. 

I'm sending this to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... as she has chosen the theme comfort food. Nothing says comfort like a warm fudgy brownie especially when it's served with cream or ice cream! Perfect for cold, autumn nights.


I'm also sending it to Love Cake hosted by Ness from Jibber Jabber UK. The theme this month is Dark. This recipe uses dark chocolate and it would be perfect for Halloween too.



 add flour and cocoa powder 

 stir in chopped oreos

 before baking  

 fresh from the oven 

 I love how you can still see the peanut butter layer and peanut butter cups


200g butter, chopped into smallish cubes
375g sugar
170g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
165g plain flour
80g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 pack of Oreo cookies, roughly chopped
150g smooth peanut butter
60ml milk 
Mini peanut butter cups to decorate

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a medium sized pan, melt the butter and chocolate.
  • Then whisk in the sugar, salt and vanilla extract. 
  • Continue mixing until you get a smooth mixture then remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes.
  • Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then the flour and cocoa powder until you get a fudgy mixture as shown. 
  • Stir in chopped oreos, 
  • Place the peanut butter in a large bowl and add the milk. Whisk together until smooth - it will take a few minutes and it will look lumpy and wet to start but continue whisking and you will get a nice, smooth mixture.
  • Spread the peanut butter layer on top of the brownies and use a fork to gently swirl it through. 
  • Add in mini peanut butter cups if using. 
  • Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until the top is crisp and the edges are cooked. 
  • Allow to cool in the pan. 
  • Slice and enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Another perfect comfort food recipe Ros using a brilliant combination of ingredients. I NEED to add Oreos to my brownies next time. Thanks for sharing with the Biscuit Barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! They look so deep and squidgy - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooohhhh...... YES PLEASE! Great flavours.... peanut and chocolate are always so well matched. I can imagine Oreos adding a wonderful crunch. They make GF ones now too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they make gluten free oreos! The possibilities are endless....

      Delete
  4. Oreo peanut butter brownies? I don't remember I've ever heard about better combination for making brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a combination! I can't believe all the flavours and textures that can be in a brownie! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!