Tuesday 7 January 2014

Banana, Cranberry, Pecan Oat Muffins


There is normally an abundance of healthier recipes on the blogopshere in January after the indulgence of Christmas and New Year. I will certainly be baking some healthier treats but a few naughty treats as well. In addition, I also want to use up any leftovers I have so there may still be a slight festive flair to the recipes this month. This recipe is one of those where I tried to use up whatever I had left in my kitchen and it worked beautifully. The muffins tasted 'healthy' with the wholemeal flour and oats and the combination of cranberry and pecans with a little mixed spice was heavenly. This recipe could be tweaked further, perhaps the addition of yoghurt or some chocolate chips if you are feeling indulgent. 

I'm sending this to the No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. I created this recipe to use up my old bananas and leftover fresh cranberries from Christmas, leftover pecan nuts from a previous bake and the end of a bag of oats and wholemeal flour. I also had a bit of honey left so I added that too. 



And to Treat Petite hosted by Kat from the Baking Explorer and Stuart from Cakeyboi. The theme this month is "Free From".  This recipe is free from butter and plain flour. 


And to Four Seasons Food hosted by Louisa from Eat Your Veg and Anneli from Delicieux. The theme this month is Virtuous Food and I think this certainly fits the bill. It's not quite salad leaves and fruit but it's tasty and healthier than shop bought muffins.


I'm also sneaking it into the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... who has chosen the theme "Spices" The recipe does contain 1 teaspoon of mixed spice which is not a lot but it was certainly present so I hope Laura will accept this.








An original recipe by bakingaddict
Makes 15 muffins

The quantities are slightly made up as it was what I had in my cupboard but it worked well.

150g wholemeal flour
35g spelt flour
125g rolled oats
100g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
50g honey
2 eggs
2 bananas, mashed
125mls vegetable oil
~ 180g fresh cranberries
~100g pecan nuts

Dark brown sugar for sprinkling (optional)

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Mix the flours, oats, sugar, bicarb, baking powder and mixed spice in a large bowl.
  • In a medium bowl, beat together the honey, eggs, mashed bananas and vegetable oil.
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed - be careful not to overmix.
  • Stir in the fresh cranberries and pecan nuts.
  • Spoon into muffin cases and if desired, sprinkle approximately 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar on top of each muffin before baking. 
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Eat warm or allow to cool on a wire rack before storing and serving. 



9 comments:

  1. Very nice Ros, this month's challenge really gets you thinking. I'm struggling with Alphabakes tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got one of two ideas for AlphaBakes but it's definitely not an easy letter

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm. These look good and of course I would accept them for the Biscuit Barrel =) My mum loves pecans so I'm going to suggest this cope to her to get her to try cranberries which she says she doesn't like but I think she would if they were dried ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your mum likes the recipe. You can easily substitute the cranberries for something else - raisins, cherries, or chocolate chips for extra indulgence :)

      Delete
  3. These do look delicious and although they are fairly healthy they still look like a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think these fit the Virtuous theme superbly well Ros! Great flours, low sugar, oil rather than butter and bursting with fruit and nuts. And they sound delicious. Thanks so much for linking up to Four Seasons Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for choosing a great theme. Glad to join in as always :)

      Delete
  5. A fantastic flavour combination for a muffin, I think! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!