Sunday 24 February 2013

Ginger and chocolate oat cookies


As you know I've recently moved into a new place. More than half of my kitchen is still in boxes but it does not stop me from baking! I asked a friend and her dad to come over to help my build some furniture and thought it was only fair that I provide tea and treats. I chose to bake treats that would fit into my regular blogging challenges as I've missed participating in them. 

These cookies are for We Should Cocoa - a monthly blogging challenge run by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog and Chele from Chocolate Teapot. This month, it's guest hosted by Jen from Blue Kitchen Bakes and she chose ginger as the ingredient to pair with chocolate. I decided to make cookies as it would be an easy treat to nibble on whilst working so I did a quick google search and got a recipe from BBC food. The cookies were really quick and easy to make. I tried one and actually quite liked it as it was not very gingery at all! It tasted more like a spiced oat biscuit which reminded me of Christmas. 

If I were to make these again, I'd add more ginger (for my ginger loving friends) and maybe some nuts to give it a bit of crunch. I'd also make half the recipe as the recipe says it makes 24 biscuits but I got more than double that amount!




 melt butter and golden syrup (left), lightly beat eggs (right), mix flour, oats, spices and sugar (centre) 

 The cookies look a little wet but don't worry...

... fresh, crisp cookies

 dipped in chocolate

Recipe from BBC Food website
I used 225g chocolate as I ended up with a lot of cookies! 

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe we both made exactly the same thing from the same recipe for We Should Cocoa- great minds think alike! I agree though, the quantities in the recipe could easily be halved. I made about 20 cookies but they were massive! Tasted lovely though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike and all :) I made a LOT of cookies but I gave them all away so no wastage :)

      Delete
  2. I made some similar to these too recently, ANZAC biscuits http://thebakingexplorer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/anzac-biscuits.html, they were really good and I love the addition of ginger in these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anzac cookies have been on my to bake list for ages... perhaps I'll just say that these were a variation on them!

      Delete
  3. Haha, that's funny Ros. You make ginger biscuits that you don't really like and the same ones as Caroline too. They look really good and I'm sure I would love them. I obviously haven't been keeping up at all as I didn't know you'd moved and in fact wasn't sure of your whereabouts at all. We've certainly missed you so I'm particularly glad to see your We Should Cocoa entry.

    Wishing you all the best in your new home and hope it proves to be a highly successful baking spot.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!