Monday 26 November 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Coffee Cookies


It's time for another Secret Recipe Club Group D reveal day. I was worried I would not have time to bake for this as assignments are given out in the first week of November for a reveal day at the end of November. I knew I had to pack all my kitchen equipment (click here to read why) but nevertheless I didn't want to miss out on one of my favourite challenges especially as the club is taking a break for December. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in January as I will still be travelling and homeless so I will be back in February 2013!

My assignment this month is Chocolate and Dreams who resides in India. She was introduced to the world of baking in 1999 after her mother sent her to a cookery class. Today she cooks and blogs and hopes to start her own cafeteria where food and dreams are cherished and relished. Her blog is beautifully laid out with lovely pictures to accompany each post. I headed straight for the recipe index and looked at her baking section. I shortlisted busy day cake, banana chocolate cupcakes, lemon bars and classic brownies. In the end, I decided on coffee cookies as I had all the ingredients to hand and it did not require any special equipment.

The cookies were amazing! They were soft and crumbly with a strong coffee taste. They were really aromatic and I love the extra sugar crunch on top which also helped to sweeten the cookie as it's not overly sweet. Definitely perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
 

 

 honey and coffee



ready to go in the oven


handmade with love :)

Recipe from Chocolates and Dreams 

50g brown sugar (use more if you prefer a sweeter cookie)
85g honey
170g butter
2.5 tablespoons coffee granules
2 tablespoons hot water
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
155g flour
Demerera sugar for sprinkling (or any coarse brown sugar)
  • Preheat the oven at 175C and grease and line a baking sheet.
  • Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and set aside to cool.
  • Beat the brown sugar, honey and butter until light and fluffy.
  • Add in the egg and mix well.
  • Add in the coffee mix.
  • Finally, fold in the flour and baking powder.
  • Drop by spoonfuls on a lined baking sheet.
  • Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 10 minutes to get soft cookies and 12 – 13 minutes to make them crunchy.


29 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this secret club, very exciting and a great bake too. Have fun with the travel adventure and enjoy every second ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the secret recipe club. Also loving my travels although I'm quite tired now having been in airports and planes for about 72 hours! On my way to Australia :)

      Delete
  2. these cookies look amazing I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, coffee flavour cookies - just my cup of tea! ;) Great choice, Ros. Would love to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coffee bakes even though I don't like drinking coffee.

      Delete
  4. I'm really impressed with how much baking you managed to squeeze in before you went away. These biscuits are really well executed and it's good that they've also got a strong taste of coffee! They'd also make good Christmas presents all wrapped up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a whole day baking just before I moved! Unfortunately I won't be baking homemade gifts this year but it's good to have a break :)

      Delete
  5. Those look and sound so good! Great pick :)

    Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of coffee cookies! They sound yummy--wish I had one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coffee cookies are a dream come true - coffee flavored cookies sound (and look) amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Those coffee cookies look amazing and well done you for managing to bake them with all that travelling you have been doing! GREAT fun the SRC isn't it? Love it! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love SRC and I knew I had to bake something for it before I left!

      Delete
  9. Cookies are always a welcome treat, great SRC choice. But I must say that your lemon brownie looks more than delicious. I must try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cookies! Love lemon bakes too - hope you like them :)

      Delete
  10. These sound really cool! Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, these sound really tasty. I have a sample of instant coffee I received from a company that would go perfectly in this recipe. Since I don't drink coffee anymore, I was wondering what I was going to do with it. Now I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely make these - they are really, really good! :)

      Delete
  12. Wonderful! I've never seen coffee cookies before..great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of coffee in this cookies. I can imagine the lovely aroma of these cookies ! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aroma was great and the cookies tasted good too! :)

      Delete
  14. I can't say that I've ever seen coffee cookies before, but I love the idea of them! I was experimenting with coffee in flapjack last night. Is it because most people eat their cookies with coffee that there are so little coffee cookies around?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder... there should be more coffee cookies around for sure as they are really good! How did the coffee flapjack turn out?

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!