Friday 2 November 2012

Polka Dot Pudsey Cupcakes



I really enjoyed participating in the Baking Mad Children in Need campaign last year by baking Rainbow Pudsey Cupcakes and Smarties Cookies. When they approached me again this year, I could hardly say no. The brief for this year was to create a unique recipe for Pudsey Bear cupcakes or biscuits.  The team at Baking Mad will pick the most inventive recipe and announce a winner who will be featured on their homepage.

I really liked my rainbow cupcakes last year so had a hard time thinking of another idea. I know this is not terribly original but spots remind me of Pudsey bear so I decided to make Polka Dot cupcakes. It's a basic vanilla cupcake with Polka Dot sprinkles mixed in the batter. 

 You can buy polka dot sprinkles from most supermarket 

 they look so colourful! 


 you can still see the spots... just about 

 and even after they are baked 


 yum! 



I used my now favourite vanilla cupcake recipe - the ultimate vanilla cupcake

For the cakes
125g flour + 1 tablespoon cornflour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
113g butter
225g sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 eggs yolk
35g polka dot sprinkles

For the frosting 
250g icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g butter

10g polka dot sprinkles to decorate


  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Sift the flours, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter, sugar, vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  • In a measuring jug, whisk together sour cream, eggs and egg yolk until smotth.
  • Pour half of the wet ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
  • Reduce mixer speed to low and stir in half of the flour mixture.
  • Repeat with the remaining dry and wet ingredients. 
  • Add in 35g of polka dot sprinkles and mix well. 
  • Fill cases until 2/3 full. 
  • Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes. 
  • Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • To make the frosting, place the icing sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. 
  • Add milk, vanilla extract and salt and mix on low speed until sugar is evenly moistened. 
  • Add butter and gradually increase the speed from low to medium-high. 
  • Beat until fluffy and light in texture, 3 to 4 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. These look lovely and perfect for Pudsey. Vanilla cupcakes are always a favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet... love all those colours inside, they just look so pretty. Brilliant cupcake recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed that the polka dots retain their colour even after baking.

      Delete
  3. Great idea and very Pudsey like. I had totally forgotten that Pudsey time was approaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea and perfect for Pudsey! I've always wondered if sprinkles would work in a cupcake batter, definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now curious to try other sprinkles - do let me know how you get on.

      Delete
  5. They're very cute, and it's good to know that the colours stay after baking (have you found that smarties are disappointing now that they're natural colourings? mine all turn brownish if I bake with them!). Will have to bookmark that vanilla cupcake recipe to try too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impressed that the colours stay which also makes me wonder whats in them! The cupcake recipe is really good - do try it!

      Delete
  6. If cupcakes could look happy - these would be happy cupcakes! So cute

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!